Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dexcom?

I am investigating a new tool. I say new, meaning new to me, not new to the diabetes world. I have been holding off on this due to fear that it will be the same pain as the Minimed CGM, but I found out that is not something to worry about with this one.

For those of you not familiar with Dexcom, it is a glucose monitoring system that I can wear for 7 days at a time. The pros - 1 insertion gives a full week worth of information, it doesn't hurt as much and it is supposedly more accurate. Cons - not integrated with my current pump and not currently integrated with a pump available in the USA. They are anticipating approval of its integration with the Animas sometime soon, but we all know that can be anytime from now until never.

I attempted a trial of the Dexcom a few weeks ago and the insertion was painless. I felt it, but it was more like a tickle than a pain and there was no loud spring noise from the insertion gun. That spring noise gives me nightmares, another reason I use infusion sets that don't need one of those torture devices. The trial started off great, but the sensor failed by the next evening. I don't know if I did something or if it was just the sensor, but since it was a trial I have to wait for the rep to get another sensor that is available for trial use.

For now we wait. We wait on the new trial sensor and we wait on insurance to decide if I can get a new one (my current one goes out of warranty in 8 days).

Thoughts anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment